Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Conflicting Loyalties

So far, I've been a graduate student at Marquette University for about 2 months. I haven't even registered for classes yet (slacking already). However, I have been surprised and delighted at my experience so far. I feel a bit like a traitor for thinking that Marquette could possible be a more quality experience than my alma mater, THE University of Wisconsin. So here how each one stacks up:

WISCONSIN
  • BIG student body.
  • Lots of opportunities for involvement in every cause you could imagine, from gay rights to republican rights. And it's the Republican groups that get lynched.
  • A large offering of courses to choose from and muddle through in the process of earning a degree.
  • I wonder who my adviser was?
  • A great city to live in, lots of fun events and nightlife.
  • World renowned player in many fields
  • Competitive admission
  • classes that fill an hour after registration
  • Financial aid??
MARQUETTE
  • Much smaller student body
  • Catholic university, so probably fewer opportunities
  • Not too many courses to select from, but since it's a master's program, I would expect that.
  • Advising staff who recognize me name, and spend an hour on the phone with me discussing all of my various options
  • 1/2 of my tuition paid for.
Overall, I'm pleased with how much I feel taken care of. Kudos to all of who who are employed by Marquette, for all you do to keep the system running smoothly.

No comments: