Tuesday, January 22, 2008

20 Miles Short of Success

As I look back on Martin Luther King Jr day, I look back on my goal set back in an optimistic October. 300 miles between October and Jan 21. I knew it would be hard once the snow fell, but I somehow thought I could accomplish it. In retrospect, I'm surprised I made it as far as I did. It's really hard running in the cold and snow!

Here's some improvements I plan to make, in order to meet my spring goal of training for and running the Madison marathon on May 25th.
  • Underarmor. Some people advocate it in the heat; I won't go out without my turtleneck if it's below 35 degrees.
  • Smartwool socks.
  • Running tights.
  • A fleece hood that covers my face.
  • 2 pairs of gloves.
  • Some sort of energy bar. I'm still looking for the right one, if anyone has any recommendations.
I've tried running at the Y and at the Pettit, and I'll still keep those as an option, but I just get bored to tears when I'm not outside. If the pros can run in blizzards, so can I!

No comments: