Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Catching Up

I listened to a great sermon this weekend on pacing one's life. Part of what I learned is that Americans suffer from overload syndrome. Debt overload, commitment overload, stress, decision, choice, hurry, expectation, possession, activity, fatigue, information, noise, people, technology...

Since then, I've made it my goal to become less overloaded. I think I've become fairly famous for my Jessie Nights, but honestly, I've forgotten what those are like. I can't remember the last time I've sat on my couch by myself, done enjoyable things alone, or gone to bed before 10pm, without some sort of commitment or expectation.

So here's how I plan to spend the next two evenings:
Listening to the new Magnetic Fields album on MySpace, at least two more times, before forming any opinions.
Laying in bed with a stack of books, and NOT Book Club ones.
Writing a letter to Swaziland.
Folding my laundry.
Making "Thank You" phone calls for Christmas gifts.
Putting photos in frames.

I will also be going to bed obscenely early.

No comments: